Friday, June 5, 2009

Aco Anyone?

Hhhmmm.. Stop. Take a listen. Let it sink in. ..... good isn't it. I'm in love. Aco everybody, everybody Aco.

This Japanese born song bird has been around since about 95 and is pretty popular in her native country. She's put out several albums including Kittenish Love and Absolute Ego, but isn't very well known here in the states. I happened to come across her when checking out DJ Krush's "Tragicomic". She's the little one in the red ridiculous dress laying down the vocals. After hearing her on that and severely digging her contribution to the song I decided to see what else she was capable of. A good move on my part.
Although I can't understand anything she's singing about on her Japanese songs (she's done some songs in English including a cover of "Creep" by Radiohead) her sound is pretty intense. It grabs something in you and makes you listen. Well it did for me. I don't know if it's her voice or the melody in the background played over the beat, but I can not get enough of "Shinsei Romanticist" off of her Material album. Such a good "sex" song. Not what you'd normally think of when challenged to check out Japanese music/JPop. Her early songs are pretty urban with a R&B sound. She even put out an album called Lady Soul in the late 90's, and once upon a time could be seen sporting a Lauren Hill type hair do.

Her music style has changed since and is now more New Age/Electronica but still good all the same. It does take a minute to warm up to, but if you like good music it's worth a shot. I wish she had more exposure here in the states, but for now until I get back to Chinatown my only source for Aco's music is clips from her website and Youtube.



http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Info/ACO/

No comments:

Post a Comment